Friday, July 8, 2011

WSS 3.0 Version mismatch

While doing a back up restore did you get this error

“Your backup is from a different version of Windows SharePoint Services and cannot be restored to a server running the current version. The backup file should be restored to a server with version '12.0.0.6545' or later.”

I was trying to restore a backup from the test server to my development server and got the error message. A bit surprised and found that the version of the WSS is different. Thus need to upgrade my Dev environment.

Another basic question dawned on me, how to check the version of my two different SharePoint environments, heck. I did not have answer because I was not too sure where to look for. However it came in my mind that we can see version number on site settings page. Hence I opened my site settings page and confirmed.

Development Server :

clip_image002

Test server:

clip_image004

May be following reason is responsible for this version difference.
1) You may have applied some service packs related to MOSS / WSS 3.0 and you forgot to run SharePoint technology and configuration wizard. You must complete that wizard after applying service pack and that too successfully.
So bottom line is whenever you apply any service pack or when ever SharePoint asks you to run the wizard, just run it successfully and you should have same version number under both above mentioned screen.

Please post a comment if you have other ways of doing this same thing… I’ll be happy to hear.

If this helps...... then please share......

HaPpY CoDiNg... (Aurum)

References: Need to download the exact KB and install it.

http://www.sharepointdesignerstepbystep.com/Blog/Articles/How%20To%20find%20the%20SharePoint%20version.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment